It is with great sadness that we acknowledge the passing of one our founding Directors, Bob Youngman. He was 90.
Born in Tauranga Bob served his apprenticeship as a motor mechanic in Ohakune immediately after leaving school. In 1953 he bought the motor repair business and turned it into a Todd Motors dealership selling David Brown Tractors, Commer Trucks and Hillman and Desoto cars.
In 1958 Bob moved to Palmerston North and bought a Europa service station which he subsequently sold back to the company and in the process took up a position with them as a Senior Sales Executive. Following the acquisition of Europa by BP in 1972 he accepted the position of Sales & Marketing Director with Richardson McCabe which also lead to a seat on the board. The move also culminated in the start of a lifelong friendship and business relationship with Tim Richardson.
Richardson MCabe was subject to several takeover bids before finally being sold to Tappenden Motors and then Ceramco. This provided an opportunity for a new venture which resulted in Bob and Tim pooling their resources and taking the bold step of founding Youngman Richardson & Co Ltd in 1981 with a staff of 3. The company’s initial master distributor appointments of note were Robin engines and Denyo generators.
Bob will certainly be missed but his legacy will live on through Youngman Richardson and Co Ltd, a company that goes from strength to strength supplying an extensive range of equipment to the construction and hire sectors. Today the company has a total staff of 75 and represents 23 international brands.